Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's not goodbye; it's write you later!

I have returned to the Bay Area. Thinking back on today, I cannot believe that I have left Brown and am back in the Bay Area. It is great to see my mother and sister again after almost three weeks...but it is freezing cold. And to think that this is considered normal temperature. I will miss the constant heat in Providence (well...not when it's 100 degrees)...and essentially everything about Providence.

I woke up this morning at eight and started packing more of my belongings into my carry-on bag and suitcase. I decided that I would completely finish it once class split for lunch break, so I freshened up, got my last breakfast at The Ratty, and headed to class with Cynthia, Marylyn, Josie, and Rebecca.

Class today was bittersweet. We wrote letters to ourselves about how we have grown as people - Kisa is going to mail them to us in six months. We played the game we played on the fist day of class; the one where there are two sides and you go to the side that applies to you the most. We also took several pictures with one another and passed out lists with everyone's mailing address, Facebook profile name, and cell phone numbers. Lastly, we sat in a circle and did an activity that we did not get to finish last night - say how the class has affected you.

I stated that this class has completely changed my life. I now have 24 sisters (including my actual sister, Monica) and I will treasure them for the rest of my life. I no longer feel like a perfectionist on the inside, and that is a great feeling.

During lunch, I completely finished packing. I hugged Kaylyn and told her she was the best roommate I have ever had, because she truly is. I will miss her, her dancing, her energy, and how she made the dorm like our little home. I went and got a quick lunch at The Ratty before heading out to the Main Green.

We went to the auditorium and were given a speech by Dean Rose before heading off into selected rooms for us to give our Action Speeches. I was the second person to give my speech. I had no butterflies in my stomach, I spoke freely, and I was cheerful. I feel like my public speaking has grown so much and I am so thankful for that. I was also happy to hear the other five people's Action Plans, which were inspiring.

So this is goodbye...

Saying goodbye to everyone was very hard. So many girls were crying, and in the end, I cried too. I felt like I was losing a part of me as we left these girls. Their smiles, jokes, laughs, and all the good times we had will be engraved in my heart for years to come.

Going to the airport was tough. I definitely did not want to leave Providence, but at the same time, I knew it was time. We took a smooth flight to Chicago and then a very long, tiring, and freezing flight to Oakland.

Women and Leadership changed me as a person, and for that, I am forever grateful.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics