Saturday, June 18, 2011

Blending in with the Locals

After parking in a very tight garage, we noticed that everyone was wearing a Bruins jersey, shirt or hat. The win occurred two days, so I wondered why everyone was still honoring his team and where he got his souvenir. We had missed a parade dedicated to the Bruin’s win. It was not as extraordinary as the Giant’s celebration, but it honored the Bruins well, and I wished I got to see what happened. When we finished watching some of the festivities, we made our way to our destination—Fenway Stadium.

The first experience in riding the T was getting the ticket. There was a long line to the ticket machine, since the Bruin fans began to return to their homes. Instead of getting a temporary ticket that cost more, we got the Charley Card. It turned out that a man next to the machine had to give me the Charley Card, so for five minutes I stood at the machine pressing buttons, which I later learned was not the correct way to add money to the card.

Watching as the train came to the stop, it reminded me of the BART system in the Bay Area. We boarded the train with enough room and style to put BART to shame. Later the train became so crowded, train surfing resulted in knocking over the person close to me. I heard a woman say that they could have fit more people into the train, and I was shocked, I was already pressed together with so little room how could more people get into the tiny space? If I chose MIT, I must learn the ways of the T or get lost in transportation.

Fenway was a Red Socks haven. Stores were dedicated to Red Socks and even sported a picture of the team’s insignia. Banners lined the street leading to Fenway stadium. We were lucky that we came on a day were the Red Socks had a game. The entire section of the city was dedicated to the team, and I suddenly became afraid when Erin mentioned the Yankees in the T.

Taking the T back and walking a distance, we arrived at Radius, which resembled a circle. Amy Tan was a great guest at Radius. She talked about the naked donut run, the graduation ceremony where alums greet graduating seniors and friendly fraternities. I also got to talk about myself to Amy, instead of listening and asking questions, and I think I might have frightened her with my ambition of creating my own organism from scratch. We also met Dave, whose cousin went to Brown—it just shows that Brown alums are everywhere; even the Dartmouth President was a Brown alum.

Upon coming home, the streets leading to Providence Hotel were blocked. For half an hour Ms. Larson was driving around trying to find a road that lead to our hotel. We finally had to call Providence Hotel to get directions, even then concierge had to drive us back to the hotel and move a road barrier, but we still had to walk to the hotel. This was all caused by the Gay Pride Parade that was happening in Providence, and happened to isolate our hotel from the rest of the city.

After getting to the hotel and settling in our rooms, Ms. Larson, Kathleen, Erin and I went to see the parade. Alas it did not last long, and we only got to see the tail end of the parade. The parade was a great insight to the culture at Providence and made me question what else the city had to offer.

Providence and Boston has so much culture. I want to experience all of it, and in the future, I hope I can come back to relive the experience as a Brown cohort 1. Tomorrow is when I get to experience Brown, which I have heard so much about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics