Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Mariko!

Today was Mariko’s birthday! There were many exciting things awaiting me as soon as I woke up.

I woke up at 8, which was later than the time I usually wake up, but still enough time to get ready for class without panicking. As I ate breakfast with my friends, we all realized something: The “ratty,” one of the cafeterias in Brown, serves the same type of breakfast every day! I was quite tired of it, but because it was free food, I indulged myself and left the ratty quite satisfied and eager to go to class.

In class today, we presented our Amazing Women Monologues, which are our autobiography-type presentation of a woman leader of our choice. The creativity my classmates put into their presentations amazed me. Rebecca’s amazing woman was an Egyptian pharaoh named Hatshepsut, who dressed as a male pharaoh in order to be taken seriously. I was the second presenter, and the “awws” of excitement I got from the class as I wrote my name “Pocahontas” on the board really got me in the mood to present with a lot of energy. I spoke of how her true story differed quite a bit from the classic Disney film, but how it was equally as good of a story, if not better. I opened a lot of peoples’ eyes to the true history of Pocahontas and her struggles of keeping the peace between her Native American tribe and the foreign Englanders.

After a couple of other great student speakers, it was lunchtime and I had a meeting with Kisa involving my action plan. She provided me with lots of possible ideas and tips for presenting my project, and I got started writing my essay about it already.

The really odd part about today was the fact that I actually finished my homework before 6 PM. I did my homework right after class because that was all everyone else was doing so I figured I might as well get my work done as well, and it felt great closing my notebook while the sun was still up.

I spent the rest of the day with my ILC girls and Ms. Williams as we all ate at a Fusion Chinese/ Japanese restaurant called Shanghai. The food was really filling and much more elegantly presented than the dorm food, which I still love as well.

When we came back from the restaurant, some of the Harkness residents threw a little birthday surprise for Mariko in my friends Mackenzie and Olivia’s room, complete with a cake and a present from Cynthia, and me, which was a little soybean plush toy. Now that I have no homework left to do, I get to sleep in for an extra hour or so, and I couldn’t be more excited to hit the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics