Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Birthday In Boston

Our first full day on the East Coast was an extremely tiring one. Not only was I horribly jetlagged, but I was running on 4 hours of sleep. However, I woke up feeling chipper for multiple reasons. It was my birthday, I was in the Providence Hotel in Rhode Island, and we were going to visit two great colleges. Because I was feeling sleepy still, I started my day with a hearty breakfast of Belgian waffles and a latte.

As soon as breakfast ended, we went to Boston University in Boston, Massachusetts. A beautifully structured campus full of trees and brick buildings greeted my cohorts and me. Not only was I attracted to its homey campus, but I was glad to find out that it had an average of 27 students per class. There’s a state-of-the-art gym that includes an indoor track and rock climbing as well as yoga and cycling classes and dance classes. I was extremely ecstatic to find out that Martin Luther King, Jr. received his PHD in Theology at Boston University. This college also has a great program for studying abroad, which is what further pushed me to apply to the University. This college was an amazing start to a series of college tours.






After Boston University, we went to Dartmouth College, which is located in the tiny town of Hanover, New Hampshire. Unlike the urban campus of Boston University, Dartmouth College, the smallest of the Ivy League colleges, was located in a small town where the local stores were conveniently located right next to, if not inside, the college. The college was established in 1769 as a way to educate Native Americans. Dartmouth College focuses on undergraduates, which surprised me, because I thought such a prestigious college would only pay attention to graduate students.



We came back from Dartmouth at 7:00 PM and took about 30 minutes to get ready for a dinner with the Brown session 1 cohorts. We met up with them at Johnny Rockets and what a glorious reunion it was! Seeing our friends who went through the Summer@Brown program and the excitement in their faces as they shared their experiences with us was so much fun. The bond created between the two sessions of Brown summer scholars was a valuable gift that I deeply appreciate. We’ll have the opportunity to see them again tomorrow if we can attend the college fair held at Brown University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics