Saturday, July 9, 2011

Army Strong



Today was an amazing day. We had a very nice breakfast and then toured Harvard. I enjoyed the tour. Our guide was quite talkative and I feel that we learned a lot about the campus. We had lunch at a place called Upstairs on the Square. I had a very tasty hamburger. We then got to walk around Cambridge and go into stores to explore. We tried on some fantastic sun glasses. Then we had dinner at Harvest for 4 hours. On the way back to the hotel we saw people in alien costumes dancing and playing some great music, so, naturally, we followed them. There was a small mix-up with the rooms, so all of the girls from sessions 1 and 2 are in the same room. I love these girls.

From the deep conversations that we had all throughout the day I’ve learned something very important. Sometimes the way you says things can affect people more than the content of what you are saying. It is much easier to respect a person who can express their opinions without making another person feel as though they are being attacked or talked down to. A leader should gain power from being caring, considerate, and respectful. A leader that people are afraid of or feel threatened by, is not a good thing.

Also, I get many questions about why I would like to go to West Point and join the military. The answer is simple; it is the right thing to do. I believe that anyone who can serve their country should do so. I believe in the principles that the military stands for, and everything that they defend. People always ask me if I’m scared that I might die. The answer to that is no. Everyone dies eventually, and I plan on doing so with honor. If I go out on my first day of active duty and save even one life, and die the next second, I’m okay with that. In fact, I’m perfectly happy with that. Someone needs to do it. Some people say I’m too patriotic. I’m not really concerned with what those people think.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics