Friday, July 8, 2011

Goodbye Brown—For Now

Today was such an emotional day. We spent our last class taking and reviewing our final exam, which was based on past AP Macro and Micro tests. The test was open notes and open partner so I collaborated with my friend Emily. Working with her is so much fun. The test contained many problems that we tried our best to answer. It was harder than I imagined, but if it were a real AP test, we would have passed. I think I mastered macroeconomics well within this abridged three-week course and thoroughly enjoyed the subject.


Emily and I working on our final exam
The end of class was touching. We took many pictures and said our goodbyes to Mr. Coleman. I wanted to take a picture with John, our TA, but he dashed out of class as I was calling out to him. Too bad.

Half of our class with our teacher

Before dinner, Erinn and I hurried to the John Hay Library to see a book bound by human skin that I heard about from an RA. I was nervous to see this disturbing book, called The Dance of Death. I asked the librarian if we could see it, and she willingly brought it out from the back room to show us. I was surprised to see it looked like leather but just knowing that the material was human skin made me uncomfortable. Before she said that the oils on our fingers speed up deterioration of the book, I poked at the book. It even felt like leather. The book was only one of the many interesting aspects of Brown.

Skin-bound book

We met again with Ms. Larson for a celebratory cohort dinner at 6:30 PM. We went to a nice restaurant on Thayer Street called Viva. This dinner marked our last meal with just the five of us. I feel so fortunate to have Andrew, Frank, Erin, and Erinn as not just my cohorts but my close buddies, and Ms. Larson as an amazing chaperone. We have made so many memories including the awkward octopus and the flying turkey, which have become trademarks to our trip. We have really bonded throughout this trip, and I couldn’t wish for a better group.



Last Lunch at V-Dub


Tonight is our last night at Brown. I really can’t believe our program has come to an end. I have met so many friends that I will have for life and will continue to keep in touch with. Thank goodness for Facebook. The hardest thing is saying goodbye to people I’ve grown so close to in this short but seemingly long period of time. As I’m packing, I can’t help but feel like I’m leaving home. Speaking of packing, I’m having difficulty cramming all of my belongings into my suitcase. I listened with disbelief when Erin and Erinn said that they are already finished with packing. The rain is pouring outside, mocking the sorrow I feel inside. But I’m so grateful for this experience and am so happy that it happened. This isn’t the end of me and Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics